Support for paging in squeak.

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 7 01:07:28 UTC 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:34 AM, Tobias Nurmiranta wrote:

> any work done on using paging techniques for the Squeak VM? For example
> to support larger images (persistent memories),
As mentioned already I think, see Stephen Pair's 'Chango' - look on the
swiki.

> or for garbage collection
> algorithms?
I've never yet seen a paper that made me think it had made a convincing
case for any sort of paging being a benefit to garbage collection. It
adds complexity, rarely saves time and often has loopholes. Worse, if
the subject OS does paging for virtual memory it's almost certain that
it will mess up any attempt at object related paging.

If you can come up with some technique that _does_ work, I'll be near
the head of the line to congratulate you.

tim