UI Look & Feel support

Andre Schnoor andre.schnoor at web.de
Sat Feb 7 08:27:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm an old Smalltalker and have been around with st80 since 1988. Currently I'm doing some work with VW, which is absolutely great, but too expensive for an early stage startup project.

I like the openness and portability of Squeak and am evaluating if it could be a platform for serious development and deployment of "shrink wrapped" end user applications on Win32, MacOS 9, OS X and Linux (knowledge based music composition in my case, hell of a complex domain with a high demand on graphical user interaction).

I could not yet find any conventional UI and Look & Feel support for squeak. With "conventional UI" I mean something that an average user can instantly recognize as something he is already familiar with.

I experienced that users decide within 30 seconds after opening a new application if they stay with it or go away. So I believe they should better see something familiar ;-)

Where can I find resources for such kind of UI for Squeak? Do they exist?
Any help is appreciated.

Andre