UI Look & Feel support

Bryce Kampjes bryce at kampjes.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 21:39:46 UTC 2004

Andre Schnoor writes:
 > Hi Göran,
 >
 > sorry to hear that no "conventional" GUI is currently available for Squeak.
 > Your Gtk2 project looks really interesting. However, I think a GUI framework
 > should be implemented in Smalltalk and be 100% inside of it. Going into and
 > out of external libraries or stuff written in other languages introduces a
 > lot of danger to an application that is deployed to thousands of people and
 > has to be maintained frequently.

There was a project called Cheese for the OS/2. It look's like
they got native windows working with mostly Smalltalk code. There
has to be some external code, no matter how you do it, to create
and interact with the OS windows.

Technically it could be possible to do something like Cheese for
other platforms but it does require more porting effort for each
platform.

Any native window support is likely to help. If only because it will
allow a community to start using Squeak for native window projects.

If a window just contains a Morphic canvas do we really care what
library is used to interact with the window?

Bryce