[FIX][VM] gcc 3.3 'float bug' cured ( [er][et] retracted: also seems to fix the update 5501 crash on Linux )

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 8 18:26:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 06:53:40PM +0100, Marcus Denker wrote:
> Am 08.02.2004 um 19:12 schrieb lewis at mail.msen.com:
> > A stock Unix VM crashes when loading update 5501, which re-creates the
> > special objects array. Ned's patch for the "float bug" appears to cure
> > this problem, in addition to whatever issue had originally been
> > reported.
> >
> I really dubt that. As much as I understand it, the float patch
> has nothing to do with this: Just recreating the VM-Sources
> with VMMaker is enough to cure the bug.

Confirmed, Marcus is correct. The "float bug" patch does not fix the
"crash on update 5501" problem. Just rebuilding the VM is sufficient.

However, the VM that I built on my Linux system without Ned's patch
is useless (missing display colors, display pretty much scrambled),
so I do recommend that the float bug patch for sq.h be checked on
other platforms and included in the platforms sources if nothing
else breaks.

Dave