[FIX] FileDirectory-checkName-localName-fix-jf

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:32:49 UTC 2004

This method is on my list of clients for some wetwork. It seems to me
that whenever possible we should ask the OS to canonicalize the
filename and thus checkName... should be improved a little to make use
of such a prim.

On RISC OS for example there is a nice function that you pass a
candidate string and a bufffer. You get back the corrected name in the
buffer, canonicalized against any local dirs, paths, settings, locales
etc. I imagine a broadly similar api is likely on most OSs.

tim