On Alan at HP labs

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 10 01:54:35 UTC 2004

Bruce's account is pretty much true. He is too modest to mention that
he and Steve Capps did the Mac Finder (it originally wasn't going to
have a GUI like the Lisa) all by themselves in a really short time.
Bruce was only 19 or 20 at that point. (He started in my group at
PARC when he was 12, and did the Dorado microcode for ST-76 when he
was 16.)

I think he might have missed Smallstar, the prototype of the Star UI
that was done in Smalltalk by Dave Canfield Smith and Dan Halbert.
This was really nice. Larry Tesler did know of it and would have
brought some of these (and perhaps some other Star) ideas with him to
the Lisa.

I think he also missed Bob Sproull's D-LISP Alto client (for
Interlisp running on the MAXC mainframe). This not only used the
Smalltalk overlapping window idea (and Dan Ingalls bit-blt to paint
the screen), but Sproull also did the first non-rectangular clipping
so that windows did not have to be refreshed manually, and that
allowed painting of partially occluded windows to be done safely.
Quite a few years later Bill Atkinson came up with a very pretty and
elegant way to compute this using a technique with some similarities
to the "Warnock math" at U of Utah in the 60s.

One influence on these various UI designs that isn't mentioned enough
was the spatial data management system (SDMS) of Nicholas Negroponte
and Richard Bolt at MIT's ARCMAC group. This has my vote for the
"best all around and most beautiful" UI of the 70s -- too bad it was
just a demo -- but what a demo! Andy Herzfeld has said he was
influenced by it, and I think of the Lisa/Mac UI as the combination
of PARC, ARCMAC, and the Lisa/Mac folks.

Cheers,

Alan