Squeak as a windows manager ?

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Feb 10 14:33:51 UTC 2004

Hello,

I would like to share my way to use "virtual desktop" in Squeak, maybe
it could interest some of us. I used to use InternalThreadNavigator
(check object in menu, and choose InternalThreadNavigator (ITN) in
navigation section) as a replacement for virtual desktop, I usually
create four projects in a thread, and switch from one to another one
through ITN. But it's quite unefficient if you are in Dekstop
"Desktop1" and would like to go to "Desktop4" : you have to visit
"Desktop2" and "Dekstop3" (two click distance from your target).

So thanks to keymap manager and the little enhancement I posted, you
can use keybindings now to switch from one desktop to another one by
simply binding a key to a project. For instance, I binded <cs-o> to
"Project enter: 'Desktop1'", <cs-p> to "Project enter: 'Desktop2'",
<cs-l> to "Project enter: 'Desktop3'" and <cs-m> to "Project enter:
'Desktop4'". So I can have in Desktop1 StarBrowser always running, in
Desktop4 Monticello always running, and my working applications in
other desktops, and jump instantly to the desired desktop.

My dream is to replace my current Windows Manager by Squeak : all we
need is the possibility to launch foreign application inside the
squeak world... A package on squeakmap called "X windows system
server" could definitly achieve this dream, but unfortunately its
current stage doesn't allow to run useful applications like
navigators...

Other features are necessary to have a true windows manager, like a
better way to display backgrounds (tile, center, stretch, in the last
3.7alpha image I tried, only tiling is supported ?), a virtual desktop
manager, a taskbar... We started such a project called EnlightSqueak,
with some students of my university, if any of you are interested,
feel free to join us !

Samir

--
Samir SAIDANI