OOVM & Resilient

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Feb 10 19:12:05 UTC 2004

Hi--

>         http://www.oovm.com/products.html
>
>     i386.exe   :    64K
>     boot.img   :    77K

> Where is the Squatty [equivalent]? ;-)

	It's here on my disk. :)  Not really an equivalent even in concept,
though, since I have a different audience ("ordinary people" as opposed
to "embedded applications developers"). I'm curious as to how extensible
their snapshot is, though. Remember the 3+4 snapshot; sure, it was 12K,
but it didn't do much. :)  Do they have a virtual machine simulator? And
where is the MacOS version? The RiscOS version? ;)  Finally, it's too
bad that the development environment requires Java and is so large. The
Squat tools snapshot is all Squeak, and is much smaller (currently 700k,
could be smaller but I haven't bothered shrinking it... of course, it's
not nearly as visually frilly as Eclipse). It's nice to see their "fully
serviceable" claim, though.

	As for the sizes, my own motivations are still these:

-	Make the system start as quickly as possible, including initial system
download. My current desired upper bound for the download wait is
something like ten seconds on a typical broadband connection. Roughly,
that's 10 seconds at 1Mbit/sec, or 10Mbit, call it 1MB transfer size.

-	Get each of the VM and snapshot transfer sizes to be under 100KB, so
as to invoke the "under three digits" psychological effect. :)  I'm
currently at at a 91K snapshot and 99K VM. I'm not so concerned with the
runtime memory footprint, since my targets are all relatively cavernous
memory-wise (desktops, laptops, PDAs, phones). The 1MB figure is
probably a reasonable upper bound to assume. My guess is that the lower
bound for the functionality I want is a 50K snapshot and 50K VM.

	(Squat progress messages, including vague guesses at release timing, at
http://netjam.org/squat )

-C

--
Craig Latta