Adding tests package to the image [GO VOTE!]

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Feb 11 04:35:45 UTC 2004

Okay, the voting has ended, and people seem to be pretty evenly divided
on the issue.

http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/25.html

Given that, I'm going to proceed with adding the tests back into the
update stream.  Actually, I think it's about a 240K update, not 300K.
(we've had other updates that big, anyway)

The vote wasn't binding, but had there been overwhelming opposition, I
would've reconsidered not adding the tests.  The vote was a useful
experiment.  Julian & I detailed the advantages/disadvantages on the
issue, which may have added more clarity... or perhaps further
confusion. :)  I definitely see both sides, but I think adding them is
the right thing to do for now.  (And Lex makes a good point below which
I missed.)

Also, upon further thought, it would be more consistent to leave the
tests in the Basic-final image.  That way, the alpha image always
follows the basic image... there's no special case goofiness.  And then
we won't be removing and re-adding the tests into the update stream for
every release.

- Doug