[RFC] OOVM & Resilient

smallsqueak.net smallsqueak at rogers.com
Thu Feb 12 00:34:28 UTC 2004

Hi Jecel,

> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 18:25, smallsqueak.net wrote:
> >     Is Resilient(TM) Smalltalk ?
>
> It certainly is, but in the same style as Pocket Smalltalk
> (http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/) or Fly
> (http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=949418&dl=ACM&coll=portal) where
> the development image is separate from the execution image.
>
> Little Smalltalk is an often forgotten reduced implementation
> (http://www.smalltalk.org/versions/LittleSmalltalk.html) which is
> almost self contained. You need an external editor or web browser.

    I tried a version on your site some time ago but the image
    could not be loaded on Win32 platform.

    Do you happen to have a pair of image+vm for Win32 that is
    working on one of your obsolete your machines ;-)

> Squat can work either way - with a remote development image or it can
> grow (eventually) into a complete Squeak.

    Yeah, Squattology is actually very hot ,  let's hope the temperature
    does not go beyond the boiling point ;-)

> My own Neo Smalltalk project is also focused right now on a tiny but
> self contained system. My benchmark for "tiny" is Chuck Moore's
> ColorForth (http://www.colorforth.com).

    Is it available somewhere (I mean Neo Smalltalk ;-)

> Since Resilient includes things like TCP/IP stack that the others don't
> but is missing the reflective and development tools, it is hard to
> directly compare their sizes.

    How hard would it be to add reflection to Resilient ?

    Cheers,

    SmallSqueak