Zurgle as default Squeak visual interface? YES!

Doug Clapp dclapp at winternet.com
Wed Feb 11 17:46:46 UTC 2004

Let me cast my vote for making Jim Benson's Zurgle the default Squeak interface.

Why?

-- It's a lovely modern look that won't "put anyone off" from using Squeak.

-- It's written in Squeak.

-- It's skinable and extensible, as Jim's other skins demonstrate.

I think the current Squeak-specific looks are fun and certainly historical -- and should be kept as an option -- but let's move into the 21st century, okay??

Making Zurgle the default will only help this community and spread the use of Squeak.  If anyone still wants to use, say, the "Palo Alto" look...good for them!  They can and should be able to.

We even have Alan Kay ("Dr. Kay, Sir," as I think of him :-) saying "one I liked by
Jim Benson." so what are we waiting for?

I also applaud Göran's Gtk work and I hope that he continues, and is joined by others, and gives us all yet another option.

But let's make Zurgle the default "look" for the next major, and subsequent releases.

Doug Clapp