Zurgle as default Squeak visual interface? YES!

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Feb 12 13:31:50 UTC 2004

Marcus Denker wrote:

> Am 12.02.2004 um 09:26 schrieb Ragnar Hojland Espinosa:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:49:58AM +0100, ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> What is really needed in that case is some other skins because some
>>> people may hate the windows look and
>>> do not feel cool with the alien one (which is cool but really hacker
>>> oriented). So my impression is that if people around there
>>> really want this to happen then they should create some (two or three)
>>> beautiful and charming skins.
>>

>> The wheel is already round.. Why not build a skin importer or
>> something alike, instead?  There are billions and billions of skins in
>> the free software community.
>>
> If the goal is to have a theme engine in the standard release, I think
> the first thing to do would be to first build a theme that resembles what
> we have now. (That is: Diegos NewLook in 3.7).
>
>          Marcus

I think this is the right approach...do the necessary refactoring and
merging of the current squeak and the Zurgle foundation code such that
the end result is a Squeak with all of the traditional UI widgets
represented and skinnable.  Some of the Zurgle bells and whistles could
remain in a separate Zurgle package (or packages).

After that has been accomplished, someone could build tools that would
allow you to convert common skin formats into Squeak skins.

- Stephen