Towards Improving Bug Reporting and Harvesting

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Feb 12 21:05:48 UTC 2004

Am 12.02.2004 um 18:20 schrieb Ken Causey:

> Please take a few minutes to read my suggestions at
>
> http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/28.html

First: I really appreciate the work you and Brent are doing,
so, uhm, after having said that:

Question: Isn't the whole thing stating to get a bit strange
from a design standpoint? For me, BFAV is a database
of Bug or Fix reports, and I am changing the data of that
database, e.g. I flip a "reviewed" bit from 0 to 1. And I do
this by sending a mail? Hmm... does this scale for more
complex operations?

e.g. What I'd like to do with the 1630(or so) mails in BFAV is
to sort them according to what they are about: There
are lots of mails for packages on SqueakMap, lots of
EToys stuff, and really many VM-related mails.

So now we could add tags for these packages. And to sort
the old mails, we could add some tag to re-sort. And then
we could add a tag for  merging two threads. And then we
could add a tag to close a thread in a way to make it possible
to send another mail with the topic "[BUG]  maybe" without
beeing sorted under an allready closed thread.... and then we
could add some kind of authorisation (guess another tag), and,
I guess we will have lots of ideas how to improve
  this tracking-system later on.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a central server, who's
Inbox is feed via Mail like now, but who's state is changable
with e.g. a client inside squeak and a seaside gui on the
server? Sorting via dragndrop, closing by pushing a button.

We would loose offline-mode. But I think the flexibility in
the sense of extending the model would be greately improved.

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de