Monticello dependency handling

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Feb 14 00:11:26 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

I have a question about dependency handling in Monticello. Here's what
happened: I put the entire B3D enchilada up on SqueakSource all with nice
requirements stated. So, for example, I declared Balloon3D-Morphic[-ar.2] to
depend on Balloon3D-Kernel[-ar.2] which in turn depends on
Balloon3D-Constants[-ar.2]

Then, Bert factored out some parts of Balloon3D-Kernel and put them into
Balloon3D-Math, declaring an appropriate dependency between
Balloon3D-Kernel[-bf.3] and Balloon3D-Math[-bf.1].

However, trying to load Balloon3D-Morphic[-ar.2] still results in
Balloon3D-Kernel[-ar.2] to be loaded. The question is: Is this intentional
or a bug? If it's intentional, is there a way to declare a "lazy dependency"
between packages which basically say "I don't care which version - just the
latest one"?!

The way this currently works is really bothersome - it means you have to
either go over all of your dependencies and update them or to load all the
packages and publish them all over again. And, in well-structured form, the
whole B3D enchilada is currently at 15 packages ... no fun (and very
error-prone) to do this for every small change.

Thanks for any help,
  - Andreas

PS. If you want to check it out, here is the MC repository entry:

    MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Balloon3D'
        user: ''
        password: ''