VM 3.6g

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Sat Feb 14 01:03:07 UTC 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 4:30 pm, Alan Grimes wrote:

> With all the chatter on the VM work, I was inspired to rebuild my
> sources... (I'm running a bleeding edge leenooks kernel ATM)

Are you using the latest VMMaker and VM code (from SqueakMap and SF CVS,
respectively)?

You should get the latest VMMaker code from SqueakMap, and then get the VM
sources from the SourceForge CVS (get the 'ned-branch' branch).

> I ran into an issue with the AIO plugin...
>
> Apparently it needs some extra include paths... I managed to make a
> Makefile.inc that fixes it.

What extra include paths? I haven't noticed this.

What is in your Makefile.inc, or is it private?

> The results of using the optimization flags from MPlayer as make XFLAGS
> (in conjunction with the optimizations above,) seem to be most
> impressive, If I'm not missing something, I've achieved a 168k squeak!

What optimization flags are you using?

> -rwxr-xr-x    1 atg      root       168140 Feb 13 19:05 squeak

What plugins did you make internal?

> For comparison, a much older build (also stripped -- the time indicates
> when I stripped it) is:
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       865132 Feb 13 19:09 squeak
>
> Similarly, the framebuffer driver seems to have gone from 35k to 31k.
>
> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any speed advantages to this... =\
>
> '123910939 bytecodes/sec; 4352264 sends/sec' < 865k VM.
> '123432979 bytecodes/sec; 4367506 sends/sec' < 168k VM.
>
> I would install this new squeak but there seem to be some other problems
> with the build (possibly due to my misguided attempts at hacking it...) :
>
> bash-2.05$ ../bld/squeak
> ioLoadModule(/home/atg/source/squeak/bld/SoundGenerationPlugin/.libs/SoundG
>enerationPlugin):
>
> /home/atg/source/squeak/bld/SoundGenerationPlugin/.libs/SoundGenerationPlug
>in: undefined symbol: successFlag

That's odd... I don't see any references to successFlag in mine. Note that the
global successFlag has probably been replaced by 'foo->successFlag' (check
your gnu-interp.c).

Of course, I am not linking with sqOldSoundPrims.c any more. It was really
hard to get it working right (we don't seem to have the Slang sources for it
any more), and I don't think any reasonably modern images (that is, later
than maybe 2.8 or so) use those prims any more.

Try removing sqOldSoundPrims.o from your Makefile and see if you still have
problems. If that fixes it, then just remove
platforms/Cross/plugins/SoundGenerationPlugin/sqOldSoundPrims.c like I did in
the CVS, and regenerate your makefiles (config.status should do this, as I
recall).

> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134935128):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134931888):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134847616):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134846640):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134845720):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134844224):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(shutdownModule, 134813104):
>   ../bld/squeak: undefined symbol: shutdownModule

Those messages are not a real problem. I've also eliminated them in the latest
CVS sources by adding shutdownModule to the list of ignored plugin errors.

Ned