Monticello dependency handling

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Feb 14 08:10:22 UTC 2004

On Feb 14, 2004, at 12:06 AM, ducasse wrote:

> Hi avi and others
>
> This is just a naive idea. Have you read the book mastering Envy?
> I realized long after the fact (once a guy form here went to work in
> industry:)
> that we always used it in the wrong way. So I do not have enough right
> experience
> now to really make some clear points. But I knot that the book is a
> source of
> idea for source code management strategy.

I haven't, though from what I know ENVY takes the opposite approach
from Monticello in pretty much every aspect of version control :).  But
you're right, it would probably be a good read.

I also want to try to actually understand the "theory of patches" from
DARCS.  And Monotone has some nifty stuff with using public key crypto
when doing distributed versioning in the same way MC does, that would
be good to emulate some day.
Anyone have any other favorite versioning systems?