Remaining to-do items for 3.7

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sun Feb 15 22:37:24 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
> FYI, I just updated the 3.7 "to-do" list swiki page.  Our list of Done
> items is now larger than our to-do items, so that's good. :)  If there
> are any big items that have been left out, now's the time to bring them
> up.
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3491

As some of you may have noticed there is a todo-item on that list which
is about:

"Make a targeted effort at "harvesting" many of the enhancement packages
currently living on SM. Many of those actually belong in the base image
packages."

I wrote that :) and now I quickly went through the packages on SM and
tried by intuition to pick out a few that are:
- Improvements to existing code already in Basic, not pure additions.
- Improvements that are likely to suffer code rot being outside of Basic
as it currently works.

Here is my little candidate list anyway:

Multilevel undo for textmorph:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/7257983d-2244-42b7-8e9a-7e65
509dc6c4
Quick comment: This one is very additional in nature. Almost no changed
methods. Looks like a good thing to simply integrate.

Debugger - key bindings:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/95a04c80-dc10-4eda-97d8-f545
5311701c
Haven't looked yet.

Debugger - stub method creation:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/5b0025b5-9460-4e65-9c31-f97e
fd85eb63
Haven't looked yet.

ShrinkingSelection:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/1d659bea-5ecc-4cf5-ac0c-4d8c
f132f680
Quick comment: This one touches quite a bunch of methods. I also note
that it has already suffered a slight case of code rot - but nothing
that can't be fixed. Some of the methods have gotten changes from Diego
and Ned since this was written - but the few I saw (just looked at some)
were easy to fix. The code is hard to "grok" though, these are deep
waters. Which might be a good reason to get this in - if we think that
would be good. Personally I think so - the current selection behavior
annoys me quite a lot.

Breakpoint support:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/07469ced-289a-4b6f-bd17-27ec
567e681a
Quick comment: This is a breakpoint mechanism that inserts a "self halt"
in the beginning of the method (so only break on entry) and installs the
new method etc. It seems to be commented. I personally can't say that I
know the "best" way to do stuff like this, anyone with better knowledge
care to comment? It only adds two new classes (Break, BreakpointManager)
and the modifications aren't many in fact. Still I get a feeling that
this is "hackish" and that "there has got to be a better way". :)

FileList2 Dialogs Enhancement:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/a461d64e-3990-40bb-9321-a169
95e904d4
Quick comment: Simple and easy to add, just a bunch of methods really.

Now, the ANSI stuff and the Cleanup from Adam are on the todo-list
separately, so I didn't repeat them here - they should of course also go
in.

regards, Göran

PS. The packages above seems to be stuff that would have been good to
have in the normal harvest stream too. (I looked and I couldn't see
them)