Remaining to-do items for 3.7

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Feb 16 08:18:58 UTC 2004

Am 16.02.2004 um 01:15 schrieb Doug Way:

>> What do we do with these SqueakMap entries? Remove them? Somehow
>> retire them, so they
>> are available for 3.6 but not for 3.7?
>
> At the very least, 3.7-compatibility should be removed for those
> packages.  Perhaps Goran or some other SM admin could do this?

The package loader shown all auto-installable packages,
version-information is not relavant any more. It was at some point,
but back when 3.5 was released, all packages continued to work but it
took ages for the maintainers to update the version
infos.  And since then, version infos are in a sorry state for most
packages...

So I think we need something different: not "this works with 3.2,
3.4.... but "this does not work starting with version 3.7".

We have similar problems with packages that continue to exist, but in
new, incompatible versions. With Package releases,
there is the beginning of a solution for that. We need refactor the
existing stuff to use this (e.g. not have
"RB for 3.2" und "RB" as top-level packages).

Another thing: I like is the idea to have a debian like "stable"
"testing" "unstable" branch... it would be nice to have SqueakMap
support for that.

           Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de