Squat progress 14 February 2004: release 1 alpha 1 available

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Mon Feb 16 20:12:51 UTC 2004

Steven Swerling wrote:
> I tried popping open a headed image along with a control image -- they
> both go full screen, but don't paint anything or respond to mouse
> clicks. How to get to the UI in the control image? (I'm running on Win98).

Here's some steps I wrote down, after I stumbled around
with the stuff, and got some hints from Craig on #squeak.
--yanni

::::::::::::::
sanity_check.txt
::::::::::::::
Purpose:

A simple sanity test.

Procedure:

1. Start the control image. In a command window execute the following:

        headed.exe control.image

Or, from windows explorer, drag&drop "control.image" onto "headed.exe".

2. Re-initialize the system. The control image should have an inspector already open on "a Sorcerer", along with some "do it"
expressions in the workspace area of the inspector. Select the following line, and "do it".

        self close; reopen

3. Start the working image, using a command window or drag&drop.

        headless.exe working.image

This step must be performed after step 2, otherwise the working image will have no server to which it can connect (and may loop).

4. Ping the working image. In the same Sorcerer inspector, inspect the result of:

        informant ping

The result is "true", if the two images are communicating correctly.

::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::
Purpose:

Create a module in one image, and send that module to another image.

Procedure:

1. Take a fresh control image, and start it. Save the image twice, with the name
s "client" and "server". Quit the control image (without saving).

2. Start the server image. Create your code in a normal system browser. For example, accept the class "Foobar" and the method
"hello". Edit the "serving a module" workspace, substituting "Foobar" and "hello" in the obvious places. Then select each section of
code (except the last), and "do it".

Select the last line "Module someInstance id", and "print it".

Save the image, at this point, if you don't feel lucky.

3. Start the client image. Select the UUID that was printed in the server image, and paste it over the UUID that's in the "loading a
module" workspace. Select the code and do it.

4. In the client image, open a system browser. You should now be able to find the Foobar>>hello code in the browser.