[VM] new LibMPEG?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 16 19:35:23 UTC 2004

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> I would think you could carry forward any fixes. However I wonder about
> grabbing entire new source files because of license issues?
> Running a compare and suggesting alterations for performance and fixes
> to the squeak tree could be a first starting  point.

Hmm, a better plan along these lines might be to get the upstream guys
to include our fixes and to continue dual licensing.  Once the fixes are
in upstream, we would be able to benefit from any further improvements
they make.

I know that in the past, Squeak's MPEG plugin has a tendency to segment
fault if the MPEG file has invalid data in it.  So if upstream has
worked on robustness, that would be even more useful than any speed
improvements they (or we) have made.

By the way, this is all a surprise to me.  I thought the original
libmpeg we are using had been abandoned.

-Lex