Binaries in Monticello

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 16 22:34:13 UTC 2004

Hi colin

> I think packages should be orthogonal to class categories. When
> browsing just one package, it's still quite useful to be able to group
> classes, and it would also be nice to be able to do it in terms of the
> entire system. For example, I might like to add a new kind of
> Magnitude as part of my package, and classify it that way, but still
> have it show up as part of my package.

This is true but I was thinking that mapping package to categories was
a cheap way to avoid to have yet another concept. It works well in VW.
We use packages as categories and vice-versa so like that we avoid to
have yet
another pane/view/ because categories are dummy packages in fact. Also
mapping categories to package as the advantage that it can be nearly
transparent to the newcomers.

Stef