Remaining to-do items for 3.7

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 17 00:58:14 UTC 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:42 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:
> Sure, but given both options I don't understand the bias towards using
> a plugin that depends on an external library.  Except in cases where
> it's impossible to get adequate performance in pure Squeak, shouldn't
> the bias go the other way?
My general rule is to go for the way that involves least work. If the
case were that using a C pcre library (and by the way, that 32kb plugin
size does include the size of the compiled pcre library) and some
methods to call it  was available and a 'pure Smalltalk' package was
not - I'd go for the former. Somebodyelse did the work, maintains it
etc- slamdunk.

In this particular case there _is_ a purely Smalltalk solution that
sounds quite plausible. What size does it add to the image? It's
probably smaller, but maybe not. What sort of memory usage does it
cause in running?

An interesting option might be to see if the two can work together so
that the plugin can be optional.

It's not something I'm going to make a call on but I do need to know an
answer fairly soon so I can drop the plugin from the VMMaker package if
needed before the 3.7 release.

tim