Plugin and Mozilla browser for Squeak _ Grey screen

Robert Maynord maynord at terracom.net
Mon Feb 16 19:37:39 UTC 2004

Dear Squeak Folks:

I have been attempting to get  the plugin for Squeak to work in my
Mozilla 1.3 browser (Mandrake Linux 9.1).  I am using Squeak version 3.6
installed using the three RPMs.  Squeak works fine as a local
application without the browser.  However, when I connect to a web-based
squeak file such as the paint tutorial at squeakland.org, all I see is a
grey screen. When I check Mozilla Plugins, it says the Squeak plugin is
installed and active.

I tried re-doing the Squeak Plugin register, and it seemed to be OK (as
follows) -------
[root at localhost squeak]# ./npsqueakregister
Registering /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/npsqueak.so
create symbolic link `/usr/lib/netscape/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
`/usr/lib/squeak/3.6g-2/npsqueak.so'
Registering /usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins/npsqueak.so
create symbolic link `/usr/lib/mozilla-1.3/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
`/usr/lib/squeak/3.6g-2/npsqueak.so'

I thought it might be a permissions issue, but it does the same thing in
root.  I went to the plugin test page and it said the plugin was not
installed correctly.  However, it seems to be where it should be, as per
above.

I thought someone on this list might have experienced this problem
before, and have a suggestion for me.

Thanks....

Robert Maynord