Squeak in college education

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Feb 17 07:41:59 UTC 2004

Am 17.02.2004 um 07:31 schrieb Aaron Lanterman:
> This got me thinking... what would it take to convince college students
> that Squeak is as cool as we think it is? Make them understand that
> C++ is
> not the bees knees?

No. Make them understand that university is not about training for
industry jobs.

Back when I discovered Squeak (1998), I emailed a friend who was
studying at
another university. And his view was "I have never seen a job offer in
the newspaper
that mentioned Squeak. So tell me, why should I even look at it?". He's
now a Windows
admin at a small company somewhere.. I guess that's the kind of job you
find in the newspaper.

Another thing: Most people look at Squeak and see green windows. Few
people see the real
beauty of the underlyning system. And even less see what this could be
(and will be) and start
to work in that direction.

      Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de