Squeak in college education

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Feb 17 14:33:49 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Davies" <steve at daviesfam.org>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 5:32 AM
Subject: Re: Squeak in college education

> Perhaps I expect to much - but shouldn't people who think like that
> about their university education should rather be at a vocational
> school?  Or just go to "Java University" or whatever.
>
> Steve

Hi, Steve!

The view Aaron quoted is pretty typical of the students I've known, no
matter what the subject.  It usually takes a few years of experience before
the wisdom of including Squeak (or Chaucer, or music appreciation) in the
curriculum becomes apparent.  That was the point of my response -- tailoring
course materials specifically to appeal to the limited perspective of the
students must be done with great care to avoid reducing education to mere
training.

Gary