new release of MC (highly recommended upgrade)

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Feb 17 17:50:08 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> Brian Brown <rbb at techgame.net> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
>>>Some issues seem to be in play here. First of all - I have managed to
>>>shoot myself in the foot with "SqueakMap2 base". Try to make sure you
>>>have version 0.96 before doing anything else.
>>>
>>>And if it blabbers on about you not having Monticello installed (when
>>>you try to install 0.96), choose "No" and proceed.
>>
>>I saw your other post right after hitting the send button, but after
>>upgrading to .96 (which had no problems), I have the same issue, but
>>only with trying to install Monticello 123 - I installed another
>>package as a test and it went fine.
>

> Hmmm. Btw, you can press alt-. (when you get the "Error..."-OK-dialog
> and do "full stack" to debug the problem.
>
> The latest Monticello has a problem for me, something about
> ancestorString. But not something about a key AFAIK.

Haven't tried loading the newest version yet, but that ancestorString
thing is from a few versions back.  Avi refactored some code which
results (because MC doesn't support any kind of scripts being run when

What I did to easily get around this was run:

MCWorkingCopy allInstances do: [:ea | ea instVarNamed: #ancestry put:
MCWorkingAncestry new]

This at least initializes all the working copies' ancestry so you can
open the browser.  You'd then want to reload (or possibly adopt if you
know what you're doing :) ) your monticello versions so that the
ancestry is there again.

Don't do this while you have changes in your working copy obviously
(although I think you could make it work if you use adopt, but anyway).
  Not the most beautiful solution but it will get you going...

Julian