oldest bits in Squeak?

les lestyrrell at spamcop.net
Wed Feb 18 08:11:28 UTC 2004

I recall there being a surprising number of extremely familiar methods in
the examples & illustrations in the books released in the early 1980's for
Smalltalk-80.  Until quite recently you could find matches in Squeak and
VisualWorks.  Haven't done any comparisons lately, though.  The early Squeak
releases seemed to be basically color versions of Smalltalk-80.

Get much earlier, and you will be seeing Smalltalk-76 code.  Alan & Dan will
have to fill us in on the progress prior to 1980.

OTOH, there was a Smalltalk-76 "emulator" provided at one point to run
within Squeak.  So... have a look in there if it is still around.  The
syntax will be a bit different... but perhaps the underlying image remains.

Wasn't there a Smalltalk-78 that was basically very very similar to
Smalltalk-80?

- les