Using Monticello and SqueakSource and distributing packages

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Wed Feb 18 19:13:03 UTC 2004

Timothy Rowledge wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2004, at 10:17 PM, Ned Konz wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 17 February 2004 9:35 pm, Timothy Rowledge wrote:
>>> When I 'download' in with SM2 where do the dang files go? I can't see
>>> them anywhere)
>>

>> Look in the package-cache directory.
>
> Ah, now goran says 'sm', which does seem a bit more likely since Avi
> said package-cache was a cache for MC. Have you guys considered merging
> these into a single concept?
>
> Actually the package-cache thing puzzles me a touch. Why ask the user
> for a repository location (of the local sort anyway) if it's going to
> use package-cache anyway? What's the logic intended here? I can see why
> having a cache of a http repository makes sense.

Oh, well you might be using an NFS mounted drive or something for a
group of people to keep a repository on the filesystem.  The
package-cache is designed to hold a cached copy of any package you've
seen.  You wouldn't want your cached copies of
SomeRandomPackageOnlyYouUse to be showing up in your work's
UsefulPackageWeSell repository.

Julian