[ENH] PNGReadWriter writing support & alpha fixes (v6)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 19 13:47:19 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

I think that's the final version for now. I tried it on both Mac and Win and
they all seem to be happy with the results. Thanks to Ned and Avi for
helping with this stuff.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

"Change Set:  PNGReadWriter
Date:   10 February 2004
Author:   Andreas Raab

Provide PNGReadWriter with the ability to write files. In addition, fix some
issues with transparency in PNGs which was not handled correctly.

v2: Vastly improved version. Includes a test suite which ensures that we can
use PNG consistently to save and load Squeak forms.

v3: 2/12/2004
- Fixed CRC storage
- Added CRC validation for reading
- Provide logging for test images
- Attempt to fix byte-sex problem

v4: (NK) Some fixes for the PNG reading and writing:
* don't crash Squeak when performing tests (fixed in Zlib writer).
* generate Adler32 checksum in compressed image chunks so other programs can
read Squeak's PNG files.
* verify Adler32 checksum in compressed image chunks to detect corruption.
* modify test suite so that if you have the PngSuite.zip installed we also
check for detection of corrupted files.

v5:
* Fixed big endian color problems (thanks to Avi)
* Added more tests

v6:
* Fixed final swizzle problems for big endian machines

"