Apple fonts in 3.7?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Feb 20 01:48:16 UTC 2004

> Yes, killing the Apple fonts was intentional.  This was done for purely
> license-related reasons.  The idea was that this would allow us to
> create a sublicense of Squeak-L at some point in the future with the
> fonts clause removed, since the clause would no longer be relevant if
> there were no Apple fonts in the release.

Okay, I must have missed that part of the discussion. Though I will note
that the fonts have always been the least of our problems - in particular if
replacements are available, which is precisely why I liked the idea of
getting Accu into the image.

> Well, the Accu-NY font is very similar to the Apple NewYork font, only
> not as good. ;-)  But seriously, it is nearly identical, except there
> are some weirdnesses with some Accu-NY character widths IMHO, such as
> some punctuation characters (period, comma, etc.) having too much
> whitespace around them.

The punctuation characters in the default font are *really* off - just look
at ":=" and watch how bad the weight, the spacing, and the match of the
characters are. Really, the default font is unusable for programming (I
actually spent a couple of minutes trying to find an extra single-quote
which crept in before I wanted to get the NY font back). If anything let's
at least have a code font that's usable for programming!

> Now, there were also the Comic bitmap fonts which were removed, which
> did not really have a close equivalent in the Accufonts... you may be
> referring more to these. (The replacement used for these was Accujen,
> which is at least sans-serif.)

Whoever decided to use that replacement most certainly never used eToys
(which is the only place where it was consistently used). Well, somehow it
figures...

The current state may be an improvement with regard to licensing but it's
certainly not an improvement for the look and feel of Squeak.

Cheers,
  - Andreas