Apple fonts in 3.7?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 04:04:12 UTC 2004

They were actually *subsets* of what is currently on the Mac.
Effectively, these were the Apple fonts as they were found in the
original Mac 128K, but in Latin-1 ordering.  When I compared them with
modern Mac fonts, even of the same name and point size, I found
substantial differences in the glyphs, as well as many missing ones.
In the case of the missing characters, I built the bulk of them from
existing characters - accented characters that exist in Mac fonts but
not Windows fonts, plus the addition of the Euro symbol.  I then
encoded the Easterbrook copyright in the "apple" character.

In some of the fonts, there was no modern equivalent so I built many of
the characters solely on the basis of matching style - Athens and
Atlantis (?) for instance.

I keep getting this wrong, but I think Rob Withers and John Sarkela
wrote the original converter, which extracted the font glyphs from the
Windows font files into StrikeFonts.  This conversion should not, but
may, have introduced some spacing errors. I think I wrote the Latin-1
to MacRoman reordering code, and then I *know* I did all the manual
work.

I suppose I had the option of just wholesale copying the current glyphs
from the current Mac fonts into the Accu fonts, but then they would
have no longer been Accufonts, but rather the Apple fonts again, which
is what we were trying to avoid in the first place.

I recall at the time that the spacing on some of the characters,
particularly punctuation, was rather odd.  At the time, I speculated
that they were tweaked for some reason related to whatever purpose they
were being used by Doug, but it may have indeed be an artifact from
some tweaking for Windows or conversion.  I manually altered some of
them, but I admit I didn't go through every point size of every font.
Again, my concern was to make them *complete*.  I think I succeeded in
that with the exception of one the fonts - Accula, I think.

This was so many years ago, I suppose I might have been more inclined
to do more on them back then if there had been any substantial interest
at the time.

I agree there needs to be a good replacement for Comic, as none of the
Accufonts do very well there.

-- Duane