Squat crash on winXP

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Feb 20 06:26:39 UTC 2004

> Can the control.image talk to working.image asking it to shrink to
> something like smallest.image ?

	It's all manual labor when you're down that small... use the remote
browser and start ripping things out. :)

> What I meant are the cs (or dare I say mcz ;-) for the Squat related
> classes.

	But those won't run in a mainstream snapshot, on a mainstream VM. I
find people tend to ignore things that don't run, so I don't think it's
worth the effort. I'd rather people fired up Squat and browsed around
there.

> I thought it might help TFNR to have Squeak beheaded ;-).

	Sure, the basic plan is to get everything in the current large snapshot
divided up into modules which we can load into a smaller snapshot.

> I can confirm that it's the image that's causing the problem because
> the old image run OK with the new flow plugin.

	Well that's weird, because the latest flow plugin only changes how
clients connect, and "control" doesn't start any clients, only servers.

> Maybe it's a combination of new control.image and new flow.

	I don't think so, because that's what I tested (and it's the only thing
worth testing... one should throw away any Squat bits that get
superceded at this stage of the game).

	If a system comprised of all the latest bits is crashing for you, all I
can suggest is that you get out the C debugger (ideally with a VM and
Flow plugin that you built yourself from sources). It works on my win98
system, which is the only one I can test.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist