Apple fonts in 3.7?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 20 07:21:25 UTC 2004

Hi guys!

First of all - since noone has said it:

Thank you Doug for doing this grunt work! I for one appreciate it a lot.

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Whoever decided to use that replacement most certainly never used eToys
> > (which is the only place where it was consistently used). Well,
> > somehow it
> > figures...
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure what to do about that.  It's sort of tempting to
> just add the Comic font back in, since it doesn't really cause any
> problems related to Squeak-L.  Just a matter of whether we want
> non-free-but-maybe-still-legal fonts in the release.
>
> - Doug

Ehrm. Why can't the fonts live their lives as packages?! Packages,
packages, packages!! (he chants hysterically while looking like a
maniac)

I mean, we have been talking about getting the Apple fonts removed for
*ages*. And now when Doug finally takes the time and effort to do it...

Anyway IMHO "removing them" just means that there is a Basic image that
doesn't have them. So that the license for Basic can eventually drop
that stuff about the Apple fonts.

Now - wether we can/should have the fonts loaded back in Full or simply
have them available on SM so that *anyone* can write their own
loadscript/distro on top of Basic and get it back - well, that hasn't
been discussed AFAIK.

regards, Göran