Query about Long Number Calcs and Shareability

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Feb 20 08:26:09 UTC 2004

Dr Strange <rifestuff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi, I'm new to squeak, have been recopmmended to check out your lingo for a project I'm working on,
> could you or someone comment / provide feedback on the below outlined?
> thanks!
> ---------
> hey jeff - thanks for the heads up - will check this out.Heres my situation currently however, have been coding in older versions of Windows dev language (such as VB and Delphi), am hoping to find a method to do long number calculation - to build formula wise into the existing code (even if the method inline is awkward or cumbersome formula wise and takes time to code). If the lingo you mentioned can be compiled into a DLL that is shareable and usable by my current code then I'm ecstatic!  If not - any other ideas?

Currently you can not use Squeak *to get a DLL* for doing large number
calculations. Some other alternatives that pop up in my mind:

Using #Smalltalk:
http://www.refactory.com/Software/SharpSmalltalk/Compiler.html

Using Smalltalk MT (assuming MT has large numbers, but I guess so):
http://www.objectconnect.com/stmt_overview.htm

Using Smallscript which also AFAIK can produce DLLs:
http://www.smallscript.org

Using Smalltalk/X:
http://www.exept.de/sites/exept/english/Smalltalk/frame_eigensch.html

Well, perhaps there are other venues too.

regards, Göran