Query about Long Number Calcs and Shareability

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 20 11:37:30 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:50:44AM -0800, Dr Strange wrote:
> hi, I'm new to squeak, have been recopmmended to check out your lingo for a project I'm working on,
> could you or someone comment / provide feedback on the below outlined?
> thanks!
> ---------
> hey jeff - thanks for the heads up - will check this out.Heres my situation currently however, have been coding in older versions of Windows dev language (such as VB and Delphi), am hoping to find a method to do long number calculation - to build formula wise into the existing code (even if the method inline is awkward or cumbersome formula wise and takes time to code). If the lingo you mentioned can be compiled into a DLL that is shareable and usable by my current code then I'm ecstatic!  If not - any other ideas?
> Again - Jeff, many thanks for your response!
> sincerely
> Jeff Sutherland <jeff.sutherland at computer.org> wrote:
> The best way to do long number calculation is to go to www.squeak.org and download an open source Smalltalk compiler. This language has always supported long number calculations. It was designed for use by children and many computing experts still consider it the best computer language ever created including the Imagineering team at Disney that supports the language.

Hi,

Goran gave you some good pointers to other Smalltalks that might allow you
to create a DLL (but you should still look at Squeak, especially if you are
interested in learning about these things!).

As you probably gathered from Goran's examples, there are no "hard coded" limits
to the size of numbers in Squeak. They are smart enough to make themselves
as big as they need to be, and surprisingly enough, they are pretty fast and
efficient as well.

I can't tell from your original question whether you have a large base of
code that you are trying to preserve and enhance, or if you are looking for
a way to replace your existing application code. Perhaps if you describe your
current code and what you are trying to accomplish, we may be able to offer
some other suggestions.

Dave