Apple fonts in 3.7?

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Feb 20 14:37:18 UTC 2004

From: "ducasse" <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Cc: <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net>
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: Apple fonts in 3.7?

> Hi boris, andreas and doug
>
> I look at the font editor and this is really cool. I will play with it
> and try to design a font
> to evaluate the difficulty of doing that.
>
> What is the default size I should start with? 12 points?
Try a medium size. It is very difficult to draw small glyphs
and it is also difficiult to draw large glyphs. (For large
glyphs you have the problem with thick lines like in Accuny30)
The Accuny at size 17 is, in my opinion, a good size for
a first try. It is neither too small nor too large.
(height 17, baseline 3, point size = 14)
I should mention that the point size of a font may differ from
its height in pixel. There is a formula for the relationship
between point size, device resolution and glyph height in
pixel, but I have to search for it.

You asked about the time that is needed to draw a font.
Do not underestimate it. Drawing fonts is really time
consuming. A day is not enough to draw a really good font,
but perhaps you believe that half a day is more than
enough. Well, you shall see.

> Now Andreas do you have a reference font that have good property so
> that I can see what
> is good and what is bad?
>
> Doug how can I access the previous apple fonts in (should I work ion
> 3.6)?
>
> Is there a package on SM for that?
>
> Boris I would like to know if this would be possible to
> see in small (normal size) the glyph we are editing (when we are in
> glyph mode)).
> It would be really good to be able to see some text sample so that we
> can see how the
> glyphs of the letters work together. Do you have some times to add this
> to your tool.
I will try to do that as soon as possible.

> I would really like to try if I can produce a free font for Squeak.
This will certainly find interest.

Greetings, Boris