David, Ducasse, Goran - Re: Query about Long Number Calcs and Shareability

Dr Strange rifestuff at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 17:43:12 UTC 2004

Guys, thanks for the feedback!  Hey this list is responsive, <relief>.

>I can't tell from your original question ....

Suppose we have the number
1422949958274930218294039283940393840005874839992038487577320281626748594937267261
(82 characters long), and we want to divide this by 47, and get an answer correct to 4 decimal places.....? Ducasse mentions 1000 and 2000 length number strings could we actually perform operations on these and get accurate results to four decimal places with out rounding off? Could you give an example of how this might be done in code (roughly)? Is it quite the acrobatic feat or just normal Squeak math operations inline? Call me dense..... (I'm sometimes a bit thick / slow - when first trying to viusalize something.....) but I can't yet see how this would be done ....

I'm working with number theory.... yeah I know, why would I choose VB, Delphi... loooong story (nopun intended), my data set and current code is immense so I can't port it all in a short period of time, yet.... But perhaps I can create a small applet in Squeak, compile a small utility to exe and then shell out from my current app and get the num string generated to text by the squeak applet and pull the value in, cumbersome, but if it works in the mean time?

You guys mentioned Smalltalk can generate to .DLL?  Could I design a small utility in Squeak and then easily port the code to Smalltalk and then generate the DLL callable to my current app?  If so that would be GREAT!

thanks again folks!  Keep on Squeaking!