Apple fonts in 3.7?

John Pfersich jp1660 at att.net
Sat Feb 21 06:12:36 UTC 2004

ducasse  wrote:
>>If you were going to work on creating a new font, was it going to
>>be a Comic-like font?
>
>Why not ;). I never like it and my favorite was NewYork. I think
>that this is important to have it as package somewhere.
>Right now I'm fighting with morphic to create a stupid widget
>allowing to show the same text in all the fonts available. But I'm
>getting there. This is so good to be forced to o soemthing else than
>writing papers and preparing lectures.
>This way combined with the tool of boris we will be able to have a
>good overview of the fonts and their problems.
>Then after I will try to come up with a font.
>
>>That could be useful, since we don't have one like that anymore.
>>Another task is to improve the punctuation spacing in the Accuny
>>font.  Or, you're always free to design a brand-new font, I guess...
>
>Yeap. Right now I do not know how to specify the size of the letters
>so I will use an old one as template.

You set the height and the location of the baseline when you first
create the font.  You also specify  the maximum width of the font,
but I think that can be altered. Most of the definitions I looked at
left all the space at the top of the font, so that the longest
descender  can go to the bottom of the grid, but that will tend to
look weird in certain situations. But that's part of  typeface design.