Apple fonts in 3.7?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Feb 21 21:09:19 UTC 2004

On Feb 21, 2004, at 1:21 AM, John Pfersich wrote:

> Raymond Asselin  wrote:
>> Hi Lex,
>>     is Bitstream Vera fonts works in MacOS X ? or is it just for
>> Windows
>> ?
>
> It sure looks plenty strange on my  OSX 10.2.8.

The Bitstream Vera fonts are just TrueType fonts, which don't depend on
any platform-specific code to be rendered (they show up as antialiased,
no hinting is used).  So they should look fine on all platforms.  It
looks fine on OSX 10.3.1 for me, and I'm pretty sure I've used it on
10.2.x and it's fine there too.  (There is a different package "Win32
Native Fonts" which is only for Windows and does hinting.)

If you're using 3.6/3.7alpha, be sure that you're loading the
"Bitstream Vera Fonts Naked" package and not "Bitstream Vera Fonts",
that may be the source of your problem.

I've attached a screenshot of what the fonts look like in a fresh
3.7alpha-5707 image on OSX 10.3.1.

By the way, when we actually incorporate these, I'm not sure how many
of the default fonts should be set to these antialiased fonts, if any.
For actual code text, I would tend to stick with a non-antialiased,
crisp, non-fuzzy font. :-)  My thought was maybe to set just the window
titlebar default font to BitstreamVeraSans (as in the picture), since
the current code-bolded window title font looks particularly awful, and
leave the rest of the defaults alone.  Thoughts?

- Doug