Apple fonts in 3.7?

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 22 06:11:59 UTC 2004

On Feb 21, 2004, at 1:09 PM, Doug Way wrote:
> I've attached a screenshot of what the fonts look like in a fresh
> 3.7alpha-5707 image on OSX 10.3.1.
On my RISC OS  machine the vera fonts at size 12 look very nearly as
good as the 'native' fonts which is very nice (and surprising - Mac OSX
and the last windows machines I saw are not  as pleasing) to see.
They're a little bit paler I'd say, having examined both under a
magnifier.

> By the way, when we actually incorporate these, I'm not sure how many
> of the default fonts should be set to these antialiased fonts, if any.
>  For actual code text, I would tend to stick with a non-antialiased,
> crisp, non-fuzzy font. :-)
The apparent default 9 point is pretty badly fuzzed because it is so
small that there is little chance for anything other than grey fluff.
12 works a great deal better for my eyes and screen. 11 is ok but 10
starts to fuzz, It's _so_ much nicer than the small bitmap fonts. The
only fault is our old friend the assign arrow which of course would
need changing if we were to use the vera fonts as defaults.

tim