SAR and MC

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Feb 22 17:42:15 UTC 2004

hi Sar and MC experts

Here is my problems. You certainly said that millions of times and I
was not listening or worse I forgot (sign of age).

I would like to migrate all my code in MC. But I used to ship the code
as a sar package because like that I can say click only on that and
load it.

- Question 0: is there an easy way to convert a CS into a MC packages?
I'm asking for trivial cases where
there is only one class in one category but a lot of class
extensions....
- Question 1: Is there a simple way to do create a sar once I have
everything in MC?
- Question 1b: is is better/simpler to work from mcz file or changesets?
- Question 1c:  if I put mcz files in sar, does it means that I can
load them in a default image (without MC proloaded)
I guess that this is right?

- Question 2: How do I specify in MC that some actions should happen
once the package is loaded?

- Question 3:
I read  that in another thread:
	You can install a .mcz file with the latest version of the
SARInstaller (available on SqueakMap).
this should only work for 3.7 is it correct because for this code I'm
still in 3.6 waiting for 3.7 to be official?

- Question 3b: If I use sar for deployment with MCZ files, does it keep
the versions of the package so that if I identify a bug
I can fix it directly. I guess not but I want to be sure.
Or do I have to go via the MC repository and reload everything then fix
it and republish it?

- Question 4: Should I investigated that?
As far as building a SAR, it's not too hard if you have files:
zip _ ZipArchive new.
(zip addFile: 'package-cache/BFAV-nk.122.mcz' as: 'BFAV.mcz')
desiredCompressionLevel: 0.
zip addString: 'self fileInMonticelloZipVersionNamed: ''BFAV.mcz''.' as:
'install/preamble'.
zip writeToFileNamed: 'myNewSar.sar'

or you can just write a MCZ into the Zip directly:

zip _ ZipArchive new.
mczStream _ RWBinaryOrTextStream on: (String new: 10000).
workingCopy _ MCWorkingCopy forPackage: (MCPackage new name: 'BFAV').
version _ workingCopy newVersion.
version fileOutOn: mczStream.
(zip addString: mczStream contents as: 'BFAV.mcz')
desiredCompressionLevel: 0.
zip addString: 'self fileInMonticelloZipVersionNamed: ''BFAV.mcz''.' as:
'install/preamble'.
zip writeToFileNamed: 'myNewSar2.sar'

Thanks.

Stef