New fixes/enhs should always go through squeak-dev (was Re: New font (5707) choice is a bit problematic)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Feb 23 17:24:47 UTC 2004

Ken Causey wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 19:01, Avi Bryant wrote:
>

>>On Feb 19, 2004, at 4:46 PM, Doug Way wrote:
>>

>>>Oops, for some reason I was thinking of capital i ("I") versus number
>>>"1", not lowercase el "l".  (Must have been my Apple email reader
>>>which makes I and l look the same. :) )  You're right, "1" and "l" do
>>>look the same with the Accuny-10 font.  Not sure if this is a huge
>>>problem, but perhaps someone could tweak the font using Boris' handy
>>>StrikeFont editor tool.
>>>

>>There's already a tweak for this from Ned in the BFAV (I'm slowly
>>learning to check the BFAV as well as the list since lots of stuff is
>>only showing up there now...).
>>

>I think doing that's a mistake, or at least premature.  I would
>recommend that everyone post to 'Squeak List' anything that includes
>'new' content.  This would include discussion of bugs and fixes beyond
>mere stamps of approval and especially new code and new bugs.
>
>Ken

I agree.  Probably the only reliable way to enforce that new fixes/enhs
always go through squeak-dev is to tweak the BFAV UI (Reviewer notepad)
so that you can't do otherwise.  (I'm not exactly sure how Ned posted
his... perhaps as a reply to a different BFAV item?)

Also, it might be nice to encourage discussion of bugs/fixes to go
through squeak-dev as you say.  Possibly this could also be done by
tweaking the UI... perhaps if one enters comments into the description
(body text) pane, it would go to squeak-dev by default instead of
squeak-harvest?  Or, if you've entered description text, when you hit
Send it could prompt you with a choice of where to send it (with
squeak-dev as recommended default)?  Of course, if you're just closing
an item and you throw in a brief explanation, you probably don't want it
to go to squeak-dev... but any real discussion should go to squeak-dev.

- Doug