[ENH] SoundSystemCleanup-gk ( [er][et] needs a little work )

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 23 17:37:10 UTC 2004

Hi ken

I can only reply for Beeper as it was in my changeset and now is in 5707
Please please do not change it again. we spent a lot of time discussing
it long time ago. And at the end it was ok for me.
Noury already went over and I checked it at that time.
Beeper play is to be able to use polymorphically with other sounds if I
remember correlcty

> What is the value of Beeper>>play?  Why the extra level of indirection?
> Part of a protocol?
>
> Back on the subject of Beeper>>beepPrimtive:  Why even have this
> method?
>  Consider Beeper class>>beepPrimitive private and use it directly in
> any
> places that the methods of Beeper need to generate a beep directly.

Yes you can do that.

> My development system does not currently have sound system support.
> So
> my ability to actually test this is very limitted.  I did file it into
> 3.7a-5707 image in which sound had been disabled.  What should
> Beeper>>beep do?

Beeper by default when there are no sound just call the primitive so if
the primitive
does not produce sound, nothing. For example this is the case where you
could have
a flashing beeper.