Apple fonts in 3.7?

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Feb 24 00:10:19 UTC 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 3:32 pm, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > I am working with Arjen's Freetype code right now, and will
> > have something soon. The new Freetype2 autohinter is doing
> > a pretty good job, and I think it will be an improvement.
>
> Say, guys isn't there any interested student out there who wants to spend a
> bit of time taking that auto-hinting C code and implement it in Squeak? It
> seems a shame to have a whole big-bang library for the sole purpose of some
> code which is probably less than a 20k CS when written in Squeak.

Perhaps. Still, there's more to freetype2 than just the hinting and rendering;
there's also font management, font file reading and writing, etc.

For instance, it can handle Postscript Type 1, TrueType, BDF, PCF, various
bitmap fonts, etc.

libfreetype2 on my system is about 437K.

I believe that it can be compiled without various features to make it smaller,
if necessary.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/