Block Closures

Aaron Lanterman lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 25 04:30:12 UTC 2004

Would it be correct to say that Smalltalk blocks are analogous to Lisp's
lambda expressions, and that they act like Scheme blocks (lexical scoping)
as opposed to Emacs Lisp blocks (dynamic scoping)?

I believe the answer is yes based on my reading and playing around in
Squeak, but I wanted to check to see if there was a subtlety I was
missing.

I was mentally brainstorming today something like a "Smalltalk for
Schemers" tutorial - trying to reconcile the "oo programming rules" with
the "functional programming rules" mindsets.

I then got the twisted idea to try writing the Y-combinator using blocks.

Yes. I am a geek.

- Aaron

Dr. Aaron Lanterman, Asst. Prof.       Voice:  404-385-2548
School of Electrical and Comp. Eng.    Fax:    404-894-8363
Georgia Institute of Technology        E-mail: lanterma at ece.gatech.edu
Mail Code 0250                         Web:    users.ece.gatech.edu/~lanterma
Atlanta, GA 30332                      Office: GCATT 334B