Marcus Denker in charge of Harvesting

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Fri Feb 27 06:29:20 UTC 2004

Hi all, I've realized lately that I'm "in charge" of too many areas
related to maintaining Squeak, and I've spread myself a bit too thin.

Currently, I'm more or less in charge of three areas:

1. Harvesting
2. Managing the Update Stream
3. Managing Squeak Releases

By "Harvesting" here I mean everything in the process of collecting
fixes/enhancements from the community up to and including approval, but
not including actual incorporation into the update stream.

I discussed this with Marcus, and he agreed that he could take over as
the Guide in charge of "Harvesting".  I would still be in charge of the
Update Stream and managing releases of Squeak.  Marcus has already been
doing a lot of work related to harvesting anyway, so this makes sense.
Of course other people are involved too such as Stephane, the BFAV
guys, the rest of the Guides, etc., but Marcus is now "in charge" of
this.  This includes, for example, figuring out how to hire more
harvesters, other ways to improve the process, etc.

Hopefully this will be a better splitting of responsibilities, and I'll
be able to spend more time on improving the update stream side of
things so that I can incorporate updates more frequently.

I will update the Guide Roles page on the SqF swiki to reflect this.
(Actually, the Guide Roles & Volunteer Roles pages could use an
overhaul and could probably be combined...)

I should mention that there's a fourth item which is still separate:

4. Deciding the major content of each release; e.g. the items on the
"3.7alpha to-do" swiki page

No one person is taking over this... this is managed by all of the
Guides & the community.  (Well, mostly led by Goran and myself.)

That's all for now,

- Doug