Interesting BFAV Stats

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Feb 28 00:43:27 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Brent Vukmer <brentvukmer at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>One of the new capabilities of the current BFAV
>>release (2.06), is to see how many posts there are for
>>each stage in the harvesting process.  This gives you
>>a rough idea of how we're doing as a community at
>>harvesting.
>>
>>Right now, as I click through the BFAV tabs, I see:
>>15791 total (that's the total number of bug, fix or
>>enhancement posts)
>>240 posts are in the "unreviewed" tab
>>1431 are in the "reviewed" tab
>>254 are in the "approved" tab
>>1996 are in the "update" tab
>>11865 are in the "closed" tab
>>

>Interesting numbers - but could we get the number of groups too? I would
>consider a group to be roughly = an issue. The number of posts can be
>quite misleading.

Just for fun I poked around inspecting the BFAV morph, drilling down to
the "topicGroups" dictionary in the PatchArchive, and got these results
for the number of groups:

Unreviewed groups = 864
Reviewed groups = 469
Approved groups = 76
Update groups = 399
Closed groups = 3936
All groups = 5306

(Oddly, the first five groups add up to 5744, not 5306.)

Wow, a bunch of items have gotten approved in the last 2 weeks!

One thing I should mention though is that the last handful of groups
under the Approved tab are not really "Approved", they're in more of a
limbo status.  They're items which were approved, but then another post
came along after the approval (but before incorporation) indicating that
there is still a problem with the item.  For an example, see "[ENH]
SMTPonAlternatePort".  Probably these items should go back to the
"Reviewed" tab.  (Or they could go into a separate tab such as "Limbo".
:-) )

Hm, if I try to click on any item which is more than a couple of weeks
old (such as the example above), I get a "Failed to download
#('13802-13901.zip')" error message.  I guess I could look into
debugging that.  Sometimes clicking on another old one, I get a
"13793.eml does not exist" error instead.  None of the old ones work,
it's always one of these two errors.  Aargh!  The BFAV is getting there,
but still has some hiccups.  Does this work for other people?

Anyway, the tabs at the top are really a huge leap forward for the
BFAV.  Nice work Brent and Ken!  The tabs really let us know where we
stand regarding the latest batch of items.

FYI, I will work on incorporating the current batch of Approved items
tonight.

- Doug

p.s. here's the code I used, with "topicGroups" selected in an explorer:

(self values select: [:group | group hasNoStatus]) size 864
(self values select: [:group | group isReviewedButNotApproved]) size 469
(self values select: [:group | group isApprovedButNotUpdate]) size 76
(self values select: [:group | group isMarkedAsUpdate]) size 399
(self values select: [:group | group isMarkedAsClosed]) size 3936
self values size 5306