Squeak coding style...

Chris Becker chbecker at neo.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 20:53:08 UTC 2004

Trygve wrote:
> A question to anybody writing code in any language:
>      Do you intend the code to be read, or is it write-only?
> A word of comfort:
>      If you don't reveal your name: Don't worry, we understand.

I, for one, intend for my code to be read. And modified. [ And read. And
modified. ] repeatForever.

In fact, when I write code, I spend a significant amount of time ensuring
that my code is as correct, clear, concise, and consistent as possible so
that the next person who reviews it (usually me) can understand the intent
and function (including me).

At issue here, though, is whether we can "legislate" style. You can't treat
code like sausage, extruding it through a meat grinder when a method is
accepted so it all comes out uniformly (cat gut not included). ;-)

But we *can* enhance the existing pretty-printer which can be turned on by
someone during code review to make sausage more digestible.

(OK, I'd better quit with the meat metaphor while I'm ahead!!)

Chris