Squeak coding style...

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Sun Feb 29 16:34:41 UTC 2004

Chris Becker <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>I definitely agree. Our energy on this topic is best invested in the
>formatter, *especially* since Smalltalk is so syntactically simple compared
>to other languages.

Hmm... I write code to be read, and often I want to preserve identation
just as I wrote it, not because it complies with some code standard but
because I've thought long and hard about it and that particular bit of
whitespace represents my best shot at making the code readable. I am
very much unconvinced that a code formatter will be able to make these
decisions, unless it is as intelligent as I am, in which case I'll leave
the programming tasks to it as well.

My first law of programming reads something like "the most important
tokens in a programming language are newline, space and tab".

Personally, I think it'd be a good idea to *recommend* the style as
descibed in Best Practice Patterns (because that book seems to mesh
reasonably well with accepted practices in the Smalltalk work) and to
watch out for 'violations'. But not to be anal about it.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,