ask for APSL? for real this time?

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Jan 6 10:19:46 UTC 2004

The only benefit of the perennial licensing discussion is that it demonstrates
that Squeak continues to attract dreamers.  Unfortunately, it also burns up
bandwidth (cheap) and enthusiasm (priceless) while accomplishing little of
value that couldn't be better dealt with via FAQ.

Rather than opening the can of worms which could ensue in reopening the Squeak
license, which would be likely to result in more rather than less restrictive
provisions given recent efforts to turn IP into revenue, the best way to get
Squeak onto desktops (not just menus) is to promote its capabilities in such
a way that potential users feel a need for it.

To do that we need, first, to build and package readily usable and compelling
applications (not just demonstrations) for various target markets, and then
to make them known to those markets through articles in their publications,
presentations at their conferences, contact on their websites and so on --
exactly the same as any other competitor for mindshare (and exactly what Alan
and others leading the effort have been doing).  An educator or manager is
far more likely to use a tool they've read about or seen, even if it takes a
few clicks to install it, than some otherwise anonymous item on a Debian CD.

The current license is more than adequate.

Gary Fisher

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 04:08, Cees de Groot wrote:

> I have asked for that about a year ago and got a clear and resounding
> 'No' as an answer from Apple.

. . .